RE [Sca-cooks] Ideal cookbook collection?

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Mar 28 02:39:27 PST 2003

Saluti!

Firstly, congratulations on getting married! And here is my top ten:

1. FRIEDMAN, David & COOK, Elizabeth  Cariadoc's Miscellany (see Anne's
comments re availability)
2. RENFROW, Cindy  Take a Thousand Eggs or More Vol 1 & 2. 2nd edition,
March 1998. Privately printed ISBN: 0962859842
3. PLATINA  De Honesta Voluptate: On Right Pleasure  MILHOUSE, Mary Ella
(transl.)  Pegasus Press Jan 1999. ISBN 1889818127
4. SCULLY, Terence  The Art of Cookery in the Middle Ages   August 1997
Boydell & Brewer; ISBN: 0851154301
5. REDON, Odile et al.  The Medieval Kitchen : Recipes from France and Italy
June 1998, Univ of Chicago Press ISBN: 0226706842
6. ANONYMOUS  Curye on Inglysch HIEATT, Constance B. & BUTLER, Sharon.
(transcription) HIEATT, Constance B. & BUTLER, Sharon. (transcription)
London, Oxford Early English Text Society, 1985.
7. BLACK, Maggie  The Medieval Cookbook May 1996, Thames & Hudson; ISBN:
0500015481 HB
8. VIVENDIER  The "Vivendier" SCULLY, Terence (transl.) Prospect Books 1997;
ISBN: 0907325815
9. de LEONE, MICHAEL Das büch von güter spise  WEISS ADAMSON, Melitta
(transl.) (orig. German 1345-1454)  Medium Aevum Quotidianum Sonder Band IX,
Krems 2000; ISBN: 3-90 1094 12 1
10. WILSON, C.Anne  Food and Drink in Britain from the Stone Age to recent
times   Penguin Books, 1973, reprint 1984  ISBN 0-14-046.546-4

Admittedly only five of these are medieval - three are Renaissance and a
couple (#4 & 10) aren't actually cookbooks, they're foodways books, but they
will teach you an awful lot about the history, methods and reasoning, which
in turn will make you a better cook. Honest! [grin]

If you want a bit more detail on each book, rather than reiterate what I've
said before, here's a link to my cookbook reviews (which includes links to
amazon.com et al).

http://www.thorngrove.net/athenaeum/cookbook.htm
<http://www.thorngrove.net/athenaeum/cookbook.htm>

If you would like, I can also send you a copy of the 2 Anglo-Norman
Cookbooks (which is one of my favorite cuisines). Just send me your
snailmail.

ciao
Lucrezia

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk
Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.