[Sca-cooks] white flour

Halima al-Shafi'i of Raven's Cove lkuney at ec.rr.com
Fri Mar 28 08:20:35 PST 2003

If you were looking to approximate, I would suggest using a hard white
wheat (like Golden 86).  Most white wheats are "soft" (low in gluten)
and mild tasting, most red wheats are "hard" (high in gluten) and have a
very pronounced "wheat" flavor, but golden 86 or "hard white wheat" is
both light in color and taste, and high in gluten, make gorgeous bread
that is mild in taste and light in color, even when used 100%.  I would
check with my local co-op or walton feed.  I got my spelt for our feast
at the co-op.  It was Arrowhead Mills brand.  I use the Hard White wheat
exclusively for my family's bread.

Halima al-Shafi'i
Stronghold of Raven's Cove