[Sca-cooks] Northpass Tavern event cooking evaluation

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 04:49:39 PST 2003

In a message dated 3/3/03 1:22:02 AM, StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:

<< So, what did you serve for the dayboard? >> I tried to keep the
ingredients as seasonal as possible

Chicken Stew (Food of Hens)
Onion-Pea Soup (French-I think Menagier--I can find it if you need it- last
minute addition for vegetarians)
Bacon and Cheese cakes( A good Pastry)
Chard and Cheese tarts (Genovese Tarts- used red chard-beet tops)
Apple Tart (Another apple tart)
Sugar Coils (Bolussen- Dutch)
Vegetable as the whim strikes me ( I made a cabbage and carrot salad, vinegar
and oil dressed with green spices)
Pickles
Dried fruit
Nuts
Apples
Pears
Grapes
Nuts
Cheeses
Hard boiled Eggs

Everything was  bought and pre-prepped at my home on Thursday  night ( it was
long night) before the event Pie crusts were made. Soups were made and pies
(14 Chard and 14 apple) were baked. On Friday night, I did the baking and
boiled the eggs on site. In the morning during breakfast, we plated the
various food stuffs and completed the warmings.

I didn't panic because I work okay under pressure ( I am a  triage nurse
mundanely) and I knew my audience
(They like period food- just don't tell them ahead of time), and I've done
this before.

I did not know it was Phlip's and Avraham's first feast. They  did an awesome
job!

My best compliment? I'd eat their food--anytime.

My emergency?-- he's fine, just a crack on the noggin. And I didn't even
panic here because this, too, has happened before. Last time he had a car
accident ( air bag deployment) on the day of the Crown Tourney I was
autocratting. I'm going to stop leaving him alone at home when I do events.

Andrea

The recipes

Ein buch von Guter Spise

28. Wilt du machen ein spise von hüenren (How you want to make a food of hens
)
Diz heizznt küneges hüenre. Nim junge gebratene hüenre. hau die an kleine
mursel. nim frische eyer und zu slahe die. menge daz zu gestozzen ingeber.
und ein wenic enys. giuz daz in einen vesten mörser. der heiz si. mit dem
selben crute. daz tu zu den eyern. damit bewirf die hüenre. und tu die hüenre
in den mörser. und tu dar zu saffran und saltz zu mazzen. und tu sie zu dem
viur. und lazze sie backen glich heiz mit ein wenic smaltzes. gib sie gantz
hin. daz heizzent küniges hüenre.
This is called King's Hens. Take young roasted hens. Cut them in small
pieces. Take fresh eggs and beat them. Mix thereto pounded ginger and a
little anise. Pour that in a strong pot, which will be hot. With the same
herbs, which you add to the eggs, sprinkle therewith the hens and put the
hens in the pot. And do thereto saffron and salt to mass. And put them to the
fire and let them bake (at the) same heat with a little fat. Give them out
whole. That is called King's Hens.

44. Ein gut gebackenz ( A good pastry)
Rib kese. menge den mit eyern und scharbe gesoten spec dar zu. mache ein
schoenen derben teyc . und fülle den kese und die eyer dor in. und mache
krepfelin. und backe sie in butern oder in smaltze. noch der zit. und gib sie
warm hin.
Grate cheese. Mix it with eggs and boiled small pieces of fatty bacon
thereto. Make a fine dough (possibly freshly made as opposed to sourdough)
and fill therein with the cheese and the eggs. And make small cakes and bake
them in butter or in fat, near to the time (they are to be served), and give
them out warm.

Sabrina Welserin
30 To make Genovese tart

Take eighteen ounces of chard or spinach, three ounces of grated cheese, two
and one half ounces of olive oil and the fresh cheese from six ounces of
curdled milk [2]. And blanch the herbs and chop them small and stir it all
together and make a good covered tart with it.

75 Another apple tart

Peel the apples, slice them and roast them, cut the cores cleanly out. Chop
them small beforehand and put beef marrow thereon and grated bread crumbs.
Stir it together well, stir into it also cinnamon, sugar and raisins and let
it bake.

24. Nimm du:erre Schwammen/ wasch sie sauber auß etlichen Wassern/
setz sie zu mit Erbeßbru:eh vnnd klein geschweißten Zwibeln/ mach es ab mit
Essig/ Pfeffer/ mit Saffran vnd Saltz/ laß miteinander ein stundt oder zwo
sieden/ so wirt es gut vnd wolgeschmack.

Bolussen- Dutch  Sugar Coils (Look like cinnamon buns) (I'll pass on the
recipe if you want). A Zeeland  pastry with Sephardic Jewish roots (as a
result of the mass immigration in the 1500's  to Holland from the Spanish
Inquisition- from a recently acquired Dutch baking book I had shipped over
here.).