[Sca-cooks] Silly idea for A&S exhibit

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Mar 3 20:49:34 PST 2003

I wouldn't go with the "quilt squares"....patchwork quilts are pretty
OOP.  Nowadays we tend to use "quilt" (the noun) to mean a variety of
objects done in any one of several techniques.  Only some of them fall
within the SCA time frame.  From our period, there are quilted garments,
and a couple of quilted bedcovers and maybe some wall-hangings, but
that's "quilted" in the "stitched" sense (trapunto is one period
technique, for instance), and not in the "pieced" sense.
Now, what would work really, really slick, would be to do a *tile floor*
sort of thing--many extant tiles look remarkably like what we'd now
think of as quilt squares, and could be combined to form all kinds of
patterns. Each person's tile or tiles could be made to a pre-determined
size, so they'd all fit together neatly. Dover even has a book on (I
think...book's in the other room) English Medieval Tiles? or some
such....
Or if you were really ambitious, what about an edible mosaic? Mosaic's
certainly a period technique! Maybe do it with tiles made from different
foods? That might be really, really cool to do for a Byzantine feast, or
a Roman feast....a mosaic subtlety <g>....
--Maire, who loves all that needlework and textile stuff, but loves food
and silly food fun, too!