[Sca-cooks] Silly idea for A&S exhibit

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Wed Mar 5 02:08:15 PST 2003

> I wouldn't go with the "quilt squares"....patchwork quilts
> are pretty OOP.  Nowadays we tend to use "quilt" (the noun)
> to mean a variety of objects done in any one of several
> techniques. . .(snip). . . Now, what would work really, really
> slick, would be to do a *tile floor* sort of thing--many extant
> tiles look remarkably like what we'd now think of as quilt
> squares, and could be combined to form all kinds of patterns.

   Square-patterned Patchwork quilts have been documented to the mid-late
1500s in England. Although I'm not aware of any extant bed-coverings, there
exists a silk cope made for a Roman Catholic Priest (by then the priests
were outlawed and under threat of death) which uses patchworking to disguise
the religious garb as simple bedding should the Priest be stopped by
soldiers. I can send an attachment picture of the cope, along with it's
documentation, to anyone who is interested. It is still owed by the family
of the woman who made it all those years ago (The Arundels, high-ranking
Catholics during the time of Henry VIII's reign. I think a few are martyrs
now.)

   Be that as it may, I like the tile idea much better. Medieval tiles are
beautiful and ornate, and it would make for some fantastic display to have
the tiled floor laid out before the thrones for court (with guards posted to
keep folks from walking on it), then to be given to the assemblage to eat
afterwards...

Rosine