[Sca-cooks] The menu...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 3 22:29:23 PST 2003

Phlip commented:
> Northass Tavern presented
>
> "The Four Elements: A German Feast" this past weekend. Avraham haRofeh and
> Philippa Ferraria were Feast Cooks, with Andrea MacIntyre presenting a
> wonderful day board. Almost all recipes were redacted from either Sabina
> Welserin (German, 1553- Valoise translation) or Ein Buch von guter spise
> (1345-1354. Alia Atlas translation)
>
> The Feast menu:
>
> 1st Course: Water
>
> First Course (Water):
>
> Salmon pasties (Guter Speise #19) aka Salmon Cuskynoles
<snip>

Oh! Now it's clearer. After reading Phlip's more comprehensive notes on her
feast today.
Yesterday, when I read her first message above, I must have missed the "The
Four Elements" stuff or didn't comprehend the meaning. Then I read the menu
and thought "Okay, serving water to guests wasn't generally done at medieval
feasts, (feasts were times of showing off your wealth. to serve water would
have made you look rather cheap) but this is an SCA feast and we do often
serve tea..."

Sigh.

It sounds like it was a very good feast and well received. I will be trying to
organise the messages here into a Florilegium file, and probably an addition
to the dayboards-msg file as well.
Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com