[Sca-cooks] herb mixtures

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 4 20:32:14 PST 2003

Huette asked:
> One of my apprentices has asked me if there are
> period culinary herb mixtures, like "Bouquet
> garni" or "Italian herbs" that you will find in
> modern stores.
>
> The only one that I know of is Vertgay.  Do any
> of you know of any other documentable herb
> mixtures?

So, what is in Vertgay? "Green-something?" Where was this mentioned? And is
there mention of how it is supposed to be used?

> I am not asking about Powdre Douce or Powdre
> Fort, whice are spice mixtures.  I would like
> those based on herbs, mostly.
Okay. This is the first time I've seen herb mixes asked about, although we have dicussed spice mixes a fair amount. I guess spice mixes, because of their exoticness and expense, were more celebrated in period.

For those who might be interested in spice mixes, there is this file in the
Florilegium:
spice-mixes-msg   (42K)  3/22/02    Period spice mixtures. Poudre Forte, Douce.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/spice-storage-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com