[Sca-cooks] dayboards handout

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 14:56:14 PST 2003

Serena,

You need to correct your date on Lady Elinor
Fettiplace's Receipt Book.  It is not "16th
Century".  The compilation date is 1604 [which
makes it 17th Century], but unfortunately, what
we have is a family cookbook that was added to
long after Elinor died, so it is unclear what
recipes are within period and what were added
long afterwards.

Huette

http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/jadwiga/A&S/dayboards.html

> On first perusal nothing jumps out at me as
> being terribly off point. I think it is a
> lovely article. I will read it
> more thoroughly when I have a moment. I just
> wanted to mention that I have a period Pickled
> Mushroom recipie that you
> are welcome to use if you like.
>
> To Pickle Mushrooms
> Lady Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book, 16th
> century.
> Take your Buttons, clean ym with a sponge & put
> ym in cold water as you clean ym, then put ym
> dry in a stewpan & shake a
> handful of salt over ym, yn stew ym in their
> own liquor till they are a little tender; then
> strain ym from ye liquor &
> put ym upon a cloath to dry till they are quite
> cold. Make your Pickle before you do your
> mushrooms, yt may be quite
> cold before you put ym in. The Pickle must be
> made with White-Wine, White-Pepper, quarter's
> Nutmeg, a Blade of Mace & a
> Race of ginger.
>
> 16 ozMushrooms
> 1 T Kosher Salt
> 1 1/4 CWhite Wine
> 1 t White Pepper
> 1/4 Nutmeg
> 1 t Mace
> 2 thumbnail sized pieces of Fresh Ginger
>
> Wash and dry mushrooms, place in large bowl and
> toss with salt. Place into large saucepan and
> add just enough water to
> avoid scorching. Cook covered until tender,
> stirring occasionally. When done strain out of
> juices and allow to cool
> completely. Combine remaining ingredients in a
> saucepan and bring to a low boil. Allow to
> simmer awhile, then remove
> from heat. Allow to cool completely. Place cool
> mushrooms into jar and pour cool pickle over
> them. Keep in refrigerator;
> it will take at least a week to meld the
> flavors. After a week, fish out the ginger or
> it will become overpowering.
>
> I multiplied it up times four and did one batch
>  with four pounds of mushrooms and it filled a
> 2 L canning jar. Lasted
> about 45 minutes on the sideboard putting them
> out a handful at a time.
>
> Glad Tidings,
> Serena da Riva

=====