[Sca-cooks] dayboards handout

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 5 13:25:32 PST 2003

> Ok, I'm opening this article up for criticism, comments, questions and  additions-- it's my Dayboards & Sideboards
handout:
> http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/jadwiga/A&S/dayboards.html

On first perusal nothing jumps out at me as being terribly off point. I think it is a lovely article. I will read it
more thoroughly when I have a moment. I just wanted to mention that I have a period Pickled Mushroom recipie that you
are welcome to use if you like.

To Pickle Mushrooms
Lady Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book, 16th century.
Take your Buttons, clean ym with a sponge & put ym in cold water as you clean ym, then put ym dry in a stewpan & shake a
handful of salt over ym, yn stew ym in their own liquor till they are a little tender; then strain ym from ye liquor &
put ym upon a cloath to dry till they are quite cold. Make your Pickle before you do your mushrooms, yt may be quite
cold before you put ym in. The Pickle must be made with White-Wine, White-Pepper, quarter's Nutmeg, a Blade of Mace & a
Race of ginger.

16 ozMushrooms
1 T Kosher Salt
1 1/4 CWhite Wine
1 t White Pepper
1/4 Nutmeg
1 t Mace
2 thumbnail sized pieces of Fresh Ginger

Wash and dry mushrooms, place in large bowl and toss with salt. Place into large saucepan and add just enough water to
avoid scorching. Cook covered until tender, stirring occasionally. When done strain out of juices and allow to cool
completely. Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a low boil. Allow to simmer awhile, then remove
from heat. Allow to cool completely. Place cool mushrooms into jar and pour cool pickle over them. Keep in refrigerator;
it will take at least a week to meld the flavors. After a week, fish out the ginger or it will become overpowering.

I multiplied it up times four and did one batch  with four pounds of mushrooms and it filled a 2 L canning jar. Lasted
about 45 minutes on the sideboard putting them out a handful at a time.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva