[Sca-cooks] Re: Fettiplace was Dayboard Handouts

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Mar 6 06:24:30 PST 2003

There are a number of problems with Fettiplace. Back in 1987,
yes 1987, C. Anne Wilson did an extensive article in PPC 25 entitled
"A Cookery-book and Its Context: Elizabethan Cookery and
Lady Fettiplace" pages 7-26. Wilson thought that the manuscript had
been added to between a 1589 original MSS and 1604 when it was recopied.
Recipes
were then added to it later as time passed.

Those wanting to work with Fettiplace might want to
buy:
The Complete Receipt Book of Ladie Elynor Fetiplace. Bristol, England:
Stuart Press. 3 volumes.
Volume I: 1994.
Volume 2 [titled: The Complete Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book]: 1999.
Volume 3 [titled as volume1]: 1999.
[This three volume set reproduces the entire
 Fetiplace or Fettiplace manuscript.
 Spurling published only a selection. Available in USA from Acanthus
Books.
 Amanda Ferris Anderson of Acanthus (www.acanthus-books.com) has also
 complied and published an "Index to Receiptes" which cross-indexes the
three volumes.]

This gives a more complete picture as to the full measure of what the
manuscript actually
contains.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway