[Sca-cooks] Re: Tile project for Pennsic

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 07:00:02 PST 2003

Stefan wrote:
How about we broaden this a little bit.
<snipped for length>
1) Everyone is encouraged to enter one tile of a set
size. This tile can be made in whatever period media
you wish, whether this media was used to make
tiles in period or not.
> I think that this is a great idea.
4) A prize? or prizes?
> would be nice but not necessary.
5) One tile per person? Or multiples if each is done
in a different art form?
>One tile per media per person sounds good.

I think this might be a neat way to highlight a number
of medieval arts and show some of the arts being done
in the SCA.
> indeed!

Each tile would have to be a certain size. Say 12
inches by 12 inches or 8 x 8 or whatever, so that they
would fit together in a grid pattern on the
floor of the Pennsic barn. And say between 1/2 and one
inch high, so that none get buried beneath the size of
any towers. This is a 'tile' mosaic. Not a map of a
downtown city.
>I'd recommend 8 x 8 with 1" high (for ceramic it is
easier to make a 1" deep tile than a 1/2" deep tile,
they don't warp.

Would the Laurels turn everyone away saying that they
didn't make leather tiles or marzipan tiles in period?
Most of the Laurels I have met must be really cool,
because I can't imagine a single one of them doing
something like that.  The period police might but they
are just the noticed minority.

Is this just a flakey idea of Stefan's?
Doesn't sound flakey to me.
Would *you* be interested in participating or making a
tile? Is the barn big enough?
>If the barn is big enough to host the known world A&S
display it should be big enough for the tiles.

Yes, if there is interest, I might even volunteer to
run this.
>I'm sure you will be able to find helpers. Heck as
long as it doesn't clash with some other commitment
I'll help myself.
Helewyse