[Sca-cooks] Recipe Books

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 9 22:37:56 PST 2003

On 9 Mar 2003, at 21:09, Luanne Bartholomew wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't most of our recipe sources
> actually more like health manuals?

I think you're confusing cookbooks with health manuals.  There was some
overlaps.  Some of the medieval cookbooks commented on the health
aspects of the recipes; many did not.  And the recipes in medieval
cookbooks are not necessarily healthy by the standards of the time.  Have
you read Platina?  Many of his recipes end with comments such as "this has
little nourishment in it" or "it is difficult to digest, and causes squeamishness
and pain".

> How do we know these recipes reflect how people really ate?

We have a variety of records.  Feast menus, household account books, etc.

> After all, how many of us today are vegan? or do food combining? Or eat only
> raw foods?

I don't think those are good examples.  Medieval health manuals were closer
in spirit to today's food pyramid (or the four basic food groups).  They did not
advocate a severely restricted diet.  And like today, medieval people often
ignored medical advice.

> Opinions, anyone?

Of course.  :-)

> Irmele