[Sca-cooks] Recipe Books

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Mar 9 22:58:02 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't most of our recipe sources
> actually more like health manuals? How do we know these recipes
> reflect how people really ate? After all, how many of us today are
> vegan? or do food combining? Or eat only raw foods?
>
> Opinions, anyone?
>
> Irmele

Well, some books are health manuals- Anthimus, for example- but if you read
them, most of them are pretty obviously cookbooks. Medieval people did take
an holistic approach to foods and good health, pretty much summed up by the
attention they paid to the humors and their interactions with the elements,
but if you read the books, they're obviously cookbooks- many of them tend to
be written in a sort of shorthand, intended to be referenced as working
manuals by experienced and trained cooks- you can see that by the way
they're written.

But, don't ask me for opinions- go to the originals and see for yourself.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,