[Sca-cooks] OK, I have deputies... now what?

Diana Skaggs liadan at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 10 01:27:59 PST 2003

I'm even more handicapped than Phlip. I can't stand around more than 15 or 20 minutes at a time without starting aches in my ankles, knees and hips.  So, when I was getting ready to feastocrat, I (attempted to) write everything down. All the recipes, how they should be prepared, timing, etc.  I worked closely with my head cook throughout the process.  Wolfger could have taken over at any time and prepared the feast I intended. I had dishes set up in preprep to be done at different times, so no one was using the same space at the same time. And I had a great crew - all I had to do was show them once and they took over so I could sit back down. Bear's help was invaluable in getting the menu set up so I wouldn't end up with wierd combinations in a course. And with Bear and Margarite in the kitchen, my stress levels stayed manageable.  There are a couple of things I'd do differently for a future feast.  I'd make sure I did as much as I could at home, bagging and freezing items. I wouldn't forget the meat slicer. I would have someone in charge of food coming into the refrigerator - some things were "misplaced" in the bottom of coolers, because they didn't get unloaded. I also had a problem with children running in and out of the kitchen. And I felt as if I worked my crew to death - a lot of volunteers didn't show.  But that was nearly two years ago and I'm feeling the urge again....Bear?
Liadan
 Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

My suggestion would be, depending on their skill levels, obviously, to first, make them aware of the entire menu and intended shopping list, so they know what's happening.

Obviously, they're going to have different abilities, and you, as a manager,
are going to have to put those skills into your service.

...the best feasts I have ever had have been by Head Cooks who are flexible and management oriented enough to use what help they're offered to its fullest potential, rather than being set in their vision of how things Must Be.

My best feast skill is management. Adamantius had told me, knowing my
physical weaknesses as he does, that I needed to avoid actual physical labor as much as possible, and to delegate whatever I could, so that's how I did it.

Look at your people, look at your needs, and try to match them. It might be
that they'll work better in charge of a course, or in charge of a particular
area- meats, pastries, sauces, whatever. Use them to their potential, and
you'll help them learn, and improve your own management skills.

Phlip