[Sca-cooks] suet & vinegar

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Mar 10 17:18:08 PST 2003

> > No, but it is documentation for a pysanky-like craft.
>
> I know this is splitting hairs, but I must disagree.  The only think this
> really has in common with pysanky is that eggs are involved.  Otherwise, it
> most closely resembles an acid etching project. (In my opinion, of course.)

It is a relief design technique used on eggs. That's what it has in common
with pysanky.

> Perhaps wine that has gone to vinegar would color better, as it it more
> highly colored that commercial red wine vinegar.

No clue, since I don't have access to homemade wine vinegar.

> As for the etch it would
> produce, longer immersion should make up for weaker acidity if that seems to
> be a problem.

Not necessarily. If the pores of the egg are open, a shorter immersion in
stronger vinegar might well produce more of a peeling effect rather than
the weakening of the entire thickness of the exposed shell which I
observed.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Lend our voices only to sounds of freedom/ No longer lend our strength to
that which we wish to be free from/Fill lives with love and bravery/
And we shall lead a life uncommon." -- Jewel, _Life Uncommon_