[Sca-cooks] Quail eggs ( was: no subject)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Mar 12 10:34:13 PST 2003

> >I just love the way this list can come up with entertaining trivia spun
> >off from the most incosequential and unrelated things.
> >
> >OBF: Looking at the Miscelany's Barmakiyya recipe, what's lavender like as
> >a cooking herb? I'm feeling doubtful of it as a flavor.
>
> Ever had Earl Grey tea? The better ones use real bergamot, cheap ones
> susbstitue lavender. They taste the same to me. I can't have either one,
> which is odd, becasue they aren't related- lavender is, well, lavender.
> Bergamot is a citrus plant. Gotta wonder if they have some compound in common.
>
> If I want purple flowers in my food, it's sage, rosemary, or violets. Come
> to think of it, I've also used garlic, chive, or onion flowers. The little
> flowers on chives are quite tasty.
>
> 'Lainie
> hmm- an omelet with chive flowers on top...

I have some lavender flowers that I was going to use to make lavender
sugar, but the smell still reminds me overmuch of my grandmother's
bathroom (lavender soap, lavender shower gel, lavender bath powder,
etc.).

Basil flowers, at least the ones on my basil, and mint flowers are also
purple. I have a slim cookbook entitled _Cooking with Flowers_ that talks
about using basil and mint flowers.

Margaret