Flowers (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Quail eggs ( was: no subject))

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Mar 12 12:44:25 PST 2003

At 01:49 PM 3/12/03 -0600, you wrote:

>> Violet sugar is yummy, and they are blooming right now...
>
>Violets? Blooming? In Minnesota? We have four inches of snow on the ground
>and the ground itself is still frozen solid. We won't see violets until at
>least April or even May.

Really! I didn't know you were up there in God's Icebox! Our violets were
up by Feb 23- and I know for sure because I sent my sweetie a note to tell
him- violets are my totem, and seeing their sweet faces made me feel like I
might survive the winter...

>Sweet Celebrations (formerly Maid of Scandinavia) sells candied violets,
>roses, and mint leaves. I'll wait until summer and candy my own, I think.
>And maybe this year I'll manage to do some flowers. I've been growing
>pansies and violas every year in anticipation of candying them, and I have
>never gotten to it yet. Maybe this summer.

I found the website again: http://www.candiedflowers.com/  They are
expensive, but there's lots of pictures of things you can do with candied
flowers...

*sigh* I tried to make candied violets a couple of years back, and ended up
with lumps of sugar... I don't seem to be good at it and I don't know why-
I figure if I can do illumination, should be able to deal with flowers,
right? HAHAHAHAHAHA....

'Lainie
-majorly irritated at being inept at something I would enjoy...