Flowers (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Quail eggs ( was: no subject))

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Mar 12 11:49:47 PST 2003

> >I have some lavender flowers that I was going to use to make lavender
> >sugar, but the smell still reminds me overmuch of my grandmother's
> >bathroom (lavender soap, lavender shower gel, lavender bath powder,
> >etc.).
>
> Violet sugar is yummy, and they are blooming right now...

Violets? Blooming? In Minnesota? We have four inches of snow on the ground
and the ground itself is still frozen solid. We won't see violets until at
least April or even May.

> >Basil flowers, at least the ones on my basil, and mint flowers are also
> >purple. I have a slim cookbook entitled _Cooking with Flowers_ that talks
> >about using basil and mint flowers.
>
> Regina has the same book- there's some very interesting things in there!
>
> I found a website the other day for a company that sells candied flowers,
> for wedding cakes and such. Don't remember where, but I got it after
> Googling 'candied violets'. They had some really pretty stuff, including
> candied lavender.
>
> 'Lainie

Sweet Celebrations (formerly Maid of Scandinavia) sells candied violets,
roses, and mint leaves. I'll wait until summer and candy my own, I think.
And maybe this year I'll manage to do some flowers. I've been growing
pansies and violas every year in anticipation of candying them, and I have
never gotten to it yet. Maybe this summer.

Margaret