[Sca-cooks] OOP - curries

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Mar 14 18:51:46 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> > Some friends and I were discussing over Thai food the other night the
great
> > variations one met in the creation of spice blends under the label of
> > "curry".  One of my friends pointed out that any spice blend could be a
> > "curry", and we could make one right there using salt, pepper and red
pepper
> > flakes.
> >
> > I'm curious as to how many of you have made curry blends on your own,
and
> > what combinations of ingredients you used.
> >
> > Berengaria

Well, when I make curry, it kinda depends on what I have on hand. Lately,
with the cold weather, I've been making several, using Thai Red Curry Paste,
of which, for some reason, Margali has a lifetime supply of, along with
available meat, onions, garlic, available vegetables, a milk product,
usually yogurt, and dried fruits, particularly raisins, served over rice-
I'm running on a recipe that Paul gave me, from a Thai student of his.

When I make it myself, it usually includes my personal hot pepper blend,
cumin, and cardamom- after that, it depends on what the other ingredients
are and what spicings they need, as well as what sort of mood I'm in.

I've found a decent dry curry powder, but I don't use it in my curries-
instead, I'll sprinkle it on roasted chicken, or perhaps mix it up in a bowl
of buttered rice. A decent commercial curry powder is a decent spice mix for
anything but a Real Curry ;-)

Great idea, though- I was wondering what to make Olaf after work Monday-
think I'll take a few ingredients with me and make him a Thai curry....

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,