[Sca-cooks] OOP - curries

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 14 08:16:43 PST 2003

> Bera wrote:
>
> Some friends and I were discussing over Thai food the other night the great
> variations one met in the creation of spice blends under the label of
> "curry".  One of my friends pointed out that any spice blend could be a
> "curry", and we could make one right there using salt, pepper and red pepper
> flakes.
>
> I'm curious as to how many of you have made curry blends on your own, and
> what combinations of ingredients you used.
>
> Berengaria
> in the process of making chicken curry with coriander, cumin, ginger and red
> pepper

To these I would add any other sort of pepper I had in the house, including long
pepper and grains of paradise;  turmeric;  real saffron;  anything else with
"bite".  I know you are into Thai food so I'd make sure and include some lemon
grass and galingale.

I invented a wedding shower game with these and tried it out at Mary Taran's
shower a couple of months ago.  Each attendee chose a spice, put in as much as
she liked into a mortar, and ground "good wishes" into the mixture.  The bride
got the resultant curry powder in a pretty ornamental jar.

Selene Colfox