[Sca-cooks] OOP - curries

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at PO-BOX.McGill.Ca
Thu Mar 13 21:22:20 PST 2003

>--
>Greetings, all:
>
>Some friends and I were discussing over Thai food the other night the great
>variations one met in the creation of spice blends under the label of
>"curry".  One of my friends pointed out that any spice blend could be a
>"curry", and we could make one right there using salt, pepper and red pepper
>flakes.
>
>I'm curious as to how many of you have made curry blends on your own, and
>what combinations of ingredients you used.
>
>Berengaria
>in the process of making chicken curry with coriander, cumin, ginger and red
>pepper

Well, if I'm not mistaken, 'curry' actually refers to the entire sauce in
which food is cooked, not only the spice blend.

This said, there are indeed countless variations. I'm planning to
experiment an early period dish tomorrow which only calls for a mix of
'pungent spices'. I've planned black pepper, cumin, tumeric and (if I can
find it in time, even though it's not pungent) cardamome.  You should have
feedback tomorrow evening :-)) (I'm testing it on my brother-in-law, just
in case!!)

don't forget the salt! Lots of salt!!! (preferably sea salt; sources list
an ever increasing number of types of salt, with which I'm not too familiar
yet, just having begun my researches in this area, but sea salt seems to
have been a favourite)

You could have sweeter blends involving perhaps cloves, cinnamon and ginger
(in safflower oil, maybe?). It all depends of the dish you want to create.

Petru 'cel Paros' Voda