[Sca-cooks] OOP - curries

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 15 22:31:36 PST 2003

> >Some friends and I were discussing over Thai food the other night the
>great
> >variations one met in the creation of spice blends under the label of
> >"curry".  One of my friends pointed out that any spice blend could be a
> >"curry", and we could make one right there using salt, pepper and red
>pepper
> >flakes.
> >
> >I'm curious as to how many of you have made curry blends on your own, and
> >what combinations of ingredients you used.
> >
> >Berengaria
> >in the process of making chicken curry with coriander, cumin, ginger and
>red
> >pepper
>

>Well, if I'm not mistaken, 'curry' actually refers to the entire sauce in
>which food is cooked, not only the spice blend.
>
>This said, there are indeed countless variations. I'm planning to
>experiment an early period dish tomorrow which only calls for a mix of
>'pungent spices'. I've planned black pepper, cumin, tumeric and (if I can
>find it in time, even though it's not pungent) cardamome.  You should have
>feedback tomorrow evening :-)) (I'm testing it on my brother-in-law, just
>in case!!)
>
>don't forget the salt! Lots of salt!!! (preferably sea salt; sources list
>an ever increasing number of types of salt, with which I'm not too familiar
>yet, just having begun my researches in this area, but sea salt seems to
>have been a favourite)
>
>You could have sweeter blends involving perhaps cloves, cinnamon and ginger
>(in safflower oil, maybe?). It all depends of the dish you want to create.
>
>Petru 'cel Paros' Voda

Greetings.  I just want to pop my noise in here for a quick minute.
Several folks I know don't typically use combined ingredient spices like
this for the very reason that they may find out the hard way that they have
a bad reaction.
In this case, specifically, my immediate response was to sea-salt.  I have a
couple of friends who get sudden, severe, migraines from sea salt.  I have
come to realize this is not just some random crazy who claims something
wild.  I have also realized that if sea salt is used it should be mentioned,
listed and specified as such.
Olwen