[Sca-cooks] OOP - curries

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at PO-BOX.McGill.Ca
Sun Mar 16 07:17:37 PST 2003

A good point! I never faced this reaction personnally, but I listed the
entire ingredient list from my last feast, just in case (one appetizer did
involve sea salt)

This said, I've tried my first adaptation of an early period recipe friday
and I realized when cooking time arrived that I'd run out of sea salt, so I
used the usual thing instead...

I did a moderately hot curry (not quite as much spices and salt as
specified in the text) involving black and red pepper, cumin, turmeric and
cardamom (which I finally managed to find) mixed with cream and safflower
oil; I pre-fried the chicken in sesame oil and cooked it in the curry,
served everything with rice. My impressions are:
	-There was too much cumin in that mix in proportion with the other
elements
	-This specific spice mix would be more appropriate to darker meat.
	-I will probably stick with moderate spice mixes for a feast. If
anybody wants the period native thing, I'll have them sign a disclaimer
before hand!

Petru