[Sca-cooks] Cheesecake? OOP

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Mar 19 07:27:41 PST 2003

I did some checking and came across the note that
cheesecakes with starch can be baked at higher
temperatures. Those without should be given the water bath
treatment. This was in Corriher's Cookwise. Cooks Illustrated goes
for the lower temperatures too.

The Lindy's recipe that you cited does have that flour in
the filling, so maybe that would allow for the 550 degrees
to start.

I am wondering if this isn't an instance where tastes have
changed and the baking temperatures have also changed. My 1950
Betty Crocker has it as Cheesecake (Torte) and calls for
cream cheese, egg whites topped by sour cream. It bakes
25 minutes at 350 degrees and then once topping is put on bakes
another 5 minutes at 475 degrees. Also
of course there is the using cream cheese versus ricotta cheese
versus whole eggs versus just yolks questions too.
May be time to dig out John Thorne's Simple Cooking and read
his Ultimate Cheesecake article again.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway