[Sca-cooks] Apicius' Patina de piris

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Mar 19 07:47:40 PST 2003

I finally got around to looking this up.
There's a modernized recipe in Giascosa' A Taste of Ancient
Rome. She has one puree the cooked pears and spices and mix with
3 eggs. She recommends that one omit the garum and there is
section on why she advocates doing this earlier in the book.
Pour into a casserole and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
I wonder if the choice of the pears wouldn't make a difference here.

What would happen if you took a pear of each of several varieties and
made
a number of versions into say small servings so that they could all
be tasted at one time? One could also vary a couple with garum left out
and such too. Might be an interesting taste test.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

  In my local cooking "guild" several people have tried to make Patina