[Sca-cooks] Danish meatballs

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 20 17:29:19 PST 2003

Bear replied to me with:

> You probably won't get any Danish recipes earlier than these as "Koge Bog"
> is the earliest known Danish cookbook.  It was reissued for its 350th
> anniversary, as has been previously stated, and I believe a Danish edition
> is still available through one of the museums there.

You are probably right on this as far as the cookbooks go, as someone else
mentioned. But even if no earlier Danish cookbook has survived, an individual
recipe or two may have. Or other information on Danish foods might be
available. As with the Norse Viking foods or those of other cultures,
sometimes you have to just work with less.

> As I recall, Nanna was kind enough to provide some information on bread from
> the book (no recipes).

Okay, then perhaps I've saved that in one or more bread oriented files.

I realized later that since this earlier message probably detailed an online
resource, I probably saved those messages in the online cookbooks file.

> Does anyone have any other good leads on period Danish foods or recipes?
> Since
> I have only two messages in this file, it is still a bit small to put into
> the Florilegium. :-)

Stefan

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com