[Sca-cooks] Re:Danish cookbooks was Danish meatballs

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 20 17:49:33 PST 2003

johnna holloway replied to me with:
> Not to be forgotten is Nanna's excellent book
> on Icelandic Food and Cookery. Anyone interested
> in Scandinavian cookery should buy a copy for their
> shelves. It's a very enjoyable book to just read.
>
> Icelandic Food & Cookery by Nanna Rognvaldardottir

Well yes, but I thought we were talking specifically about Danish food. While
the food of Iceland did originate in Denmark (and other Nordic countries?), it
changed in a number of ways because of the different Icelandic enviornment,
both when man first got there and as he altered it. That doesn't mean that
Icelandic food can't be used to derive some details of Danish foods, but this
does mean folks need to be aware of this and take it into consideration. Just
because they enjoyed fermented shark and stored meat in whey in Iceland,
doesn't mean they did the same in Denmark.

For those who are interested in Icelandic foods, I do recommend Nanna's book,
although I wish she'd had more older food history in it. :-) Folks might also
find this file of interest:
fd-Iceland-msg    (84K)  1/15/03    Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Persia-msg.html

Many of Nanna's comments appear in both this file and her book.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com