[Sca-cooks] suet & vinegar

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 23 20:54:14 PST 2003

I'm going through the list messages from when I was off at Gulf Wars and found
that Ciar asked:

> I am new to the list and if you don't mind, I have a some semi food
> related questions to ask for Kataryna Dragonweaver.  She has some
> documentation for Psanky or Ukrainian Easter Egg painting that refers to
> the use of suet and she is wondering how our suet might differ from
> period suet.  She did try using it as described and it didn't work.

>  Also she was wondering if you could recommend a good recipe for
> vinegar, which she also uses in the process.  She figures if anyone can
> help her it would be this group.  This is the reference she used.

Vinegar can be made from many different items, apple cider, wine, beer or ale,
  or today at least, petroleum oil.
Here are a few files in the FOOD section of the Florilegium that might be of
interest:

Vinegar-art       (20K)  6/26/01    "What's so special about Vinegar?" by
                                       Mistress Christianna MacGrain.
Vinegar-NJFCC-art (18K) 10/23/01    "Vinegar: Not Just for Cleaning Coffeepots"
                                       by THL M·irÌn ben DhÌarmait.
vinegar-msg       (51K) 10/25/01    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

One thing to be aware of, is that today household vinegar is usually diluted
to a strength of 5 percent. That was not necessarily the case in period.

> How to acid etch eggs from "The Jewel-house of Art & Nature" by Hugh
> Plat 1594:
> "32. How to grave any armes, posies, or other devise upon an egg shel, &
> how to through-cut the same, with divers works & fancies, which will
<snip>

Thanks, for the pysanki directions.
Perhaps this file in the CRAFTS section might also be of interest:
pysanky-eggs-msg  (18K)  9/13/00    Painted and dyed eggs of eastern Europe.

> The Shire of Harrows Cross,
> in Avacal
Do you know the history of how your Shire's name was chosen? Or why it was chosen? I'd love to have the details for my placenames-msg files in the my SCA-STORIES section. I don't remember your group being mentioned in there.

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net