[Sca-cooks] French Veggie Dishes / Burgundian event menu

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Tue Mar 25 07:45:35 PST 2003

Hi all, got a question for you...
I'm doing a feast Easter weekend, and I have the menu "mostly" set - it's
below.  We priced it this weekend, and we're SO far under budget it's not
even funny - as in I can at this point afford to order venison instead of
using some from local hunters.  But... if you've ever eaten with me, you
know of my, um aversion to vegetables... so I didn't put enough vegetables
in the menu.  I'm trying to find some more recipes for veggie dishes and/or
vegetarian dishes.  The entire rest of the menu is based upon Taillevent,
Chiquart and Le Menagier, with the exception of one recipe from Platina.
Since the event is in 15th century Burgundy, I'd like to stick to those and
similar sources... any ideas?

Generys

P.S. Below is the menu as it stands:

Appetizer Course:

Pommes de Porc (Sausage Apples)

Petit Tartes de Quinces et Poires (Pear and Quince Pies)

Pipesfarces (Stuffed "Pipes" of Cheese)

First Course

Soupe Flemande (Flemish Soup)

Cive de Bouef en Bols de Pain (Beef Stew in Bread Bowls)

Bruet de Poulet avec Cannelle (Chicken Stewed with Cinnamon)

Nouvelle Epinards avec Ail (New Spinach with Garlic)

Entremet

Frumenty avec Venaison et Sauce Royale, dans un chateau de patisserie

Second Course

Porc Rosti

Sauce Vert et Sauce de Poivre et Ail

Poulet d'Or et Ris Engoule(Golden Chicken and Rich Rice)

Salat des Oignons et Carottes

Desserts

Hypocras (Spiced Wine)

Taillis (Bread Pudding with almond milk and grapes)

Wafers