[Sca-cooks] French Veggie Dishes / Burgundian event menu

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 25 20:25:20 PST 2003

Greetings,

I also was going to suggest mushrooms. They always go over well and are in the "luxury" price range.

le Menagier:
MUSHROOMS of one night are the best, and are small and red inside, closed above: and they should be peeled, then wash in
hot water and parboil; if you wish to put them in pastry, add oil, cheese and powdered spices.
Item, put them between two dishes over the coals, and add a little salt, cheese and powdered spices. You can find them
at the end of May and in June.

Another luxury veg that is not seen often is asparagus, I couldn't find anything on them in le Menagier or Du Fait, but
they might be in Tallivant - I do not have it.

Looking throught Du Fait I saw the following, it might be good:
76. Again syseros: and to give understanding to him who will prepare the syseros let him take his chick-peas and pick
them over grain by grain such that there remains nothing but the chick-peas themselves, and then wash them in three or
four changes of lukewarm water and put them to boil; and, being boiled, let him remove them from this water and put in
other fresh water and put back to boil and, being boiled put them to rest in the said pot until the next day; and when
the next day comes drain the water off them and put in again other fresh water and put to boil with a very little salt,
almond oil, and parsley together with its roots well picked over and cleaned -- and these roots should be scraped and
very well washed -- and a little sage. And do not put in anything else without the doctor's order, and if he tells you
to put in a little cinnamon and a little verjuice to give it a little flavor, put them in; otherwise not.

Best of luck, sounds yummy.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva