[Sca-cooks] cost of mushrooms and asparagus

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 26 11:55:11 PST 2003

Halima al-Shafi'i of Raven's Cove wrote:
> Having just cooked a feast this past weekend (five courses for $4.25 a
> head) featuring asparagus and mushrooms both, I can tell you that
> asparagus was $1.54 a pound at Sam's Club Warehouse and was absolutely
> gorgeous and succulent, and mushrooms were $1.85 a pound.

As a new member to the list, I'll jump right in with my $0.02:

Another trick for getting mushrooms at a reasonable cost if you're not
serving them whole is to find a local produce wholesaler and order #2
mushrooms.  If you're not familiar with them, they are the odd-shaped and
odd-sized ones that the retailers don't like, but are often fresher and
better quality than most retail 'shrooms.  I got a flat of wonderful quality
#2s last weekend for $1.49/lb.

-Lorenz Wieland