[Sca-cooks] cost of mushrooms and asparagus

Halima al-Shafi'i of Raven's Cove lkuney at ec.rr.com
Wed Mar 26 08:28:16 PST 2003

Having just cooked a feast this past weekend (five courses for $4.25 a
head) featuring asparagus and mushrooms both, I can tell you that
asparagus was $1.54 a pound at Sam's Club Warehouse and was absolutely
gorgeous and succulent, and mushrooms were $1.85 a pound.  I did the
frugal thing and utilized as much as possible without wastage.  Instead
of buying extra mushrooms for stuffing the onions, I saved the stems of
the mushrooms (the caps of which were used in a leek and mushroom dish)
and minced them finely in the food processor with the other stuffing
ingredients.  Same flavor, but way cheap.  Saved the cores from the
onions and used them in the chicken stock.  Sorry, had to brag a little
<g>.  Thanks to Stephan, whose Florilegium proved invaluable to me as I
planned and cooked my first feast.  You can view the menu at
http://ravenscove.atlantia.sca.org/feast.html

Halima al-Shafi'i
Stronghold of Raven's Cove