[Sca-cooks] Reasonable substitution for musk question.

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Wed Mar 26 19:00:23 PST 2003

Well, I do think it would work as a breath freshner.

But here is something odd. I recently picked up some incense from my local Greek wholesaler.  It is labelled something like "Muscolivano".  It looks a bit like frankincense in that it is in lumps, although not as crystaline as frankincense. If soaked in hot water for a while it goes sort of gummy. The thing is, it is a kind of candy pink inside, and smells just like musk (sweet musk) and even tastes (in a not-sweet fashion) like musk.

It looks like some sort of plant gum; maybe it is from the plant that I posted earlier or something... I really don't know. But I doubt very strongly that it is of animal origin.  Maybe THIS is the elusive not-animal-musk!

Kiriel