[Sca-cooks] Raiders feast pig

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:55:31 PST 2003

> >Good planning!  I looked over your menu and it looked good to me.  What
> >cut(s) of pork did you use for the roast pig?  Did you, or someone, make
> >your own candied ginger?  It takes forever to get translucent doesnt' it!
> >Olwen the Odd
> >
>We planned on roasting the pig whole, as usual, since we formally
>present the whole pig with apple in mouth to the sound of bagpipes,
>carried in with all due ceremony <wink>.  However, the cooker we rented
>was short of propane, and unbeknownst to us, quickly ran out.  So, while
>a few stout souls ran into the nearest town to purchase propane tanks, a
>few other "filleted" the pig and we cooked in pieces.  We thought we
>were going to have to pre-empt the ovens inside, but luckily did not.
>  We then carved the rough cuts into serving sized chunks/pieces and
>placed them on the platters with the stuffed roasted onions and bowls of
>mashed turnips.  I did a red wine and rosemary sauce on the side.
>--

Ah!  We have done some whole pigs.  Master Chirhart has a pig-cooker which
is a 500 gallon(?) household oil tank.  We use the hardwood charcoal bought
from the roofing supply house to burn in it.  I think the last whole pig we
did was for the Atlantian King at Pennsic 30, see here,
http://groups.msn.com/OlwensOddities/pennsicxxx.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=27
  It had a marzipan apple in it's mouth...
Olwen
Say, what is your recipe for the red wine and rosemary sauce?