[Sca-cooks] Raiders feast pig

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 27 20:14:21 PST 2003

Halima al-Shafi'i of Raven's Cove commented:
>>Good planning!  I looked over your menu and it looked good to me.  What
>>cut(s) of pork did you use for the roast pig?
>
> We planned on roasting the pig whole, as usual, since we formally
> present the whole pig with apple in mouth to the sound of bagpipes,
> carried in with all due ceremony <wink>.  However, the cooker we rented
> was short of propane, and unbeknownst to us, quickly ran out.  So, while
> a few stout souls ran into the nearest town to purchase propane tanks, a
> few other "filleted" the pig and we cooked in pieces.
How long had you been planning to cook your whole pig, had the butane not run out?

Perhaps it is better that you had to modify your original plans. Whole roast
pig can be a quite spectactular presentation piece. On the other hand, it can
be a disaster.

For some details on how to cook a whole pig correctly and some stories about when it has and has not worked out, check these files in the Florilegium. Perhaps it is just that bad news travels further or be better remembered, but I seem to remember a lot more disasters being mentioned than success stories.

Whole-Pig-Fst-art (36K)  9/22/98    Feast menu and recipes incl. a roasted pig.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Whole-Pig-Fst-art.html
Cooking-Piggy-art  (5K)  9/27/01    A humorous adventure cooking a pig.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Cooking-Piggy-art.html
whole-pig-msg     (36K)  9/23/01    Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/whole-pig-msg.html

Some of the stories are rather humorous though.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net