[Sca-cooks] French Veggie Dishes / Burgundian event menu

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Thu Mar 27 06:15:15 PST 2003

| > This is actually a somewhat loose interpretation of a recipe found both
in
| > Le Menagier and Le Viandier - it's a "dish for the sick" called a
Flemish
| > Caudle by Le Viander, and just a Flemish Soup by Le Menagier.
Basically,
| > the original calls for either egg yolks mixed with white wine to be
slowly
| > stirred into boiling water, or alternatively, egg yolks slowly stirred
into
| > a mixture of white wine and water.  When you try it, it actually comes
out
| > very very similarly to egg drop soup.  However, it was rather, um, bland
| > (since it's a dish for invalids) so, since there will be no invalids at
the
| > feast, we're substituting a flavorful homemade vegetable broth, with
herbs,
| > for the water. I'll post the redaction on my web site after the feast.
|
| What makes you say this is a soup? I've usually heard of caudles being
| beverages. But then broths are often eaten/drunk both as a soup or
beverage.

The reason I'm calling it a soup is because A. Le Menagier does, even if
Viandier doesn't, and B. both sets of directions say serve it in bowls.
Which brings me to a question, really - did people still drink out of bowls
at this point, or no?

Generys

P.S. I don't have my Taillevent handy, but here is the recipe from Le
Menagier I'm using - this is the from the translation on Duke Cariadoc's
site:
FLEMISH SOUP. Put a pot of water on to boil, then for each bowl four
egg-yolks beaten with white wine[112], and drip it into your water and stir
well, and add salt to taste; and when it has boiled well, pull it to the
back of the fire.