[Sca-cooks] Question

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Mar 27 10:51:49 PST 2003

Ah, you have not heard about Aresty.

Esther Aresty was a lady
who collected cookbooks on rather massive scale. She was a
first rate collector.
Check out:
http://www.library.upenn.edu/friends/aresty/
for information on her own  collection.

Her book The Delectable Past, 1964 pulls recipes out of various
books in her collection and then proceeds to muddle the
authentic recipes into some so-so and some just plain awful
re-creations. There are at least two paperback editions, including
a 1968 mass-market small paperback edition that sold
for 95 cents and a 1978 trade paperback edition, so it's
in a lot of Society collections and cited often.
Almost anytime one sees a recipe credited to
Aresty, one should immediately suspect that someting is going
to be wrong with the adapted version given.

In this case, she has taken a recipe from Markham for a pie
and turned it into a dish of roast chicken stuffed with prunes.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway