[Sca-cooks] Chicken for feast (was: Question)

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Mar 27 12:24:18 PST 2003

Amanda Blackwolf wrote:

>It does look yummy, but I must admit, I'd feel better if there was better
>documentation than a cookbook printed in 1964. So, if you were wanting to
>roast chicken, for feast.....what would be your choice? I'm leaning toward
>roasting the things, then making sauces to go with it, but if I'm doing the
>same w/ roast pork, will that be too much?

My favorite period thing to do with whole chickens is Capon Stewed:
stuff chicken with parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, and hyssop, put in
pot (on wooden splints, so it doesn't stick) with more herbs and
wine, seal lid on pot with dough, and cook, either in oven or on
stovetop. Serve with a sauce of wine, chicken drippings, sugar, and
currents. 15th c. English; full recipe in the Miscellany.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook