[Sca-cooks] Reasonable substitution for musk question.

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 27 18:53:20 PST 2003

From: Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
>"The kewda (Pandanus odoratissimus) is another. It has a very agreeable
>  perfume. Musk has the defect of being dry; this may be called moist musk-
>  a very agreeable perfume. In amongst the inner leaves grown things like what
>  belongs to a middle of a flower and from these things comes the excellent
>  perfume" Babur Nama-1525"
>
>  Kiriel

That IS interesting. In the Babur-namah... i'll have to look for this...

Kewra, pandanus ordoratissimus, is also called "screw pine". It is
used to flavor sweets in much of Southeast Asia. I've found small
bottles of Kewra at Indian markets (i've got a bottle in the pantry
now).

It is used much as we use vanilla - although the flavor doesn't in
any way resemble vanilla.

I don't know how close it is to musk, but it is a food flavor.

Anahita