[Sca-cooks] Re:Chicken for feast (Hyssop)

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 27 19:24:43 PST 2003

Greetings,

This might be an issue that has been addressed when I wasn't paying attention, so please forgive me if I re-hash.

I served a chicken soup at my last event that contained hyssop and I took great pains to make sure that it was clearly
labeled as having hyssop in it with a warning that pregnant or possibly pregnant woment should not eat it. In my
research and talking to a friend who is knowledgable about herbs I discovered that hyssop is an abortificant. Now, I do
not know what kind of quantities produce adverse effects, but I figured better safe than sorry.

Am I too paranoid? How should we address these issues in the SCA? It is my understanding that Rue, found in some
recipies, has similar properties.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva