[Sca-cooks] Chicken for feast

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Mar 28 17:27:22 PST 2003

I described Capon Stwed and Amanda asked:

>So, the dough lid comes off before serving right? Is it best to carve the
>chicken in the kitchen or let them carve at the tables (I'm thinking the
>kitchen)?

It isn't a dough lid but dough used to seal the pot's lid onto the
pot. The original says "hele [cover] the potte with a close led, and
stoppe hit aboute with dogh or bater". What we do is to mix some
flour-water dough, roll it into a string as long as the rim of the
pot, push this onto the rim of the pot, and then jam the lid down
onto it.

We have always served then whole, one per table, but several people
have argued that this is a bad idea and they may be right. I would
serve the sauce in a separate dish with a small ladle, and make sure
the servers tell them that this is for the chicken.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook