[Sca-cooks] Dayboard anxieties

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Mar 27 19:27:03 PST 2003

I didn't originally suggest PB and J sandwiches. Someone else did.
I just echoed the refrain and suggested a cheap alternative that I use
with children which is crackers and cheese or pb.

I guess my point would be that we cater to adults with food allergies
or to the vegetarians or to any of a number of adult food likes and dislikes,
so why not provide a few things that the children would like and eat?
Children after all pay site fees and like it or not we seem to have more of
them around these days than we did decades ago when I started. I
don't think that it would be too much to ask that we provide some activities
and if we are serving a dayboard for everyone that it have some foods on it that
they
will eat and actually like.

The entire premise of dayboards seems to be to provide a snack or bite
onsite and it seems to vary as to how authentic they are (how authentic
is any sideboard meal served during a tourney for that matter? Documentation,
anyone for what was really eaten during a 12th or 15th or 16th century
joust?) and how much or what type of foods are provided. One could easily
take your premise " if they didn't like or couldn't eat the food.  I don't think
it's the
responsibility of the event staff to make sure absolutely everyone has what
they like best to eat.  In any case, that would be a logistical nightmare if
not impossible." and extend it to all the adults and all the participants.

In which case perhaps we should abandon all cookery and all dayboards
and all feasts and send everyone out to the local burger place.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

See, my take on this is that it's the parent's responsibility to find out