[Sca-cooks] More Sugar

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Mar 30 00:49:56 PST 2003

Take at a look at the Rose Beranbaum sugar article--
Beranbaum, Rose Levy. “Rose's Sugar Bible.” Food Arts Magazine, April 2000.  also
http://www.thecakebible.com/articles/articles-rosessugarbible.html

She goes into what these sugars are and aren't.

Granulated white CANE sugar would approximate highly refined
Elizabethan sugar.

Refined sugars varied and that is why recipes for confectionary tend
to include the techniques for further refining one's sugar before you
attempt your fine preserves and banquetting fare.

Another source for material on sugar is Peter Brears All the King's Cooks.
He talks extensively about the importation and use of sugar in the court
palace and kitchens of Hampton Court.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway