[Sca-cooks] Sassafras

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Sun Mar 30 03:31:06 PST 2003

At 02:03 AM 3/30/2003,Ana Valdés said something like:
>A friend want make the "perfect gumbo". He want use sassafras, as told in the
>recipe, but we don't have a clue what sassafras is. Another word for it? It's
>possible to buy it in Europe? Is any other spice he can use instead? Cinammon,
>par example?
>
>Ana

Sassafras is a North American tree.
>Sassafras Tree (Sassafras albidum)
>The roots, bark, and leaves of the sassafras have a spicy scent and the
>oils extracted from them have been used in soapmaking and in flavoring
>drinks, such as sassafras tea

The seasoning your friend is probably looking for is gumbo file' powder,
which is usually sassafras. The one I picked up at the grocery store is
made of other things, a very finely ground thyme and savory blend. I
haven't found a pure sassafras file' powder yet, but I haven't really done
a lot of looking. This particular packet was on a rack with a lot of
hispanic seasonings, and I was in a rush, so I grabbed it, went home, THEN
I read the label.

 From what I've managed to learn during some internet conversations with a
few people in or from Louisiana, the use of file' powder is a very 'low
class' thing.  (I find that curious, and a little amusing).  The gumbo that
I made for Fat Tuesday went over well with the family, and my neighbors who
have far more southern background than I do, declared it to be just fine (I
must have gotten something right).

Good luck on your quest,
Maggie MacD.