[Sca-cooks] Sassafras

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Mar 30 06:32:17 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> A friend want make the "perfect gumbo". He want use sassafras, as told in
the
> recipe, but we don't have a clue what sassafras is. Another word for it?
It's
> possible to buy it in Europe? Is any other spice he can use instead?
Cinammon,
> par example?
>
> Ana

Sassafras is an American tree, generally found growing in the warmer parts
of the US, but which I have found without much difficulty in Ohio. For an
herbal description of it, go to:

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/s/sassaf20.html

We used to take the roots and boil them to make sassafras tea, which has the
interesting characteristic that the longer you boil the roots (and you boil
them several times, getting tea from each boiling) the darker (red) and
stronger the tea becomes.

The powdered leaves are used in gumbo, both as a flavor element and as a
thickener- I really can't think of anything you could substitute for it,
although you can make a gumbo without it- it just isn't authentic, any more
than it would be without okra.

The Gumbo File' powder is sold commercially, however- you can find it at
Hispanic markets. Also, Chef Paul Prudhomme markets it along with his
Blackening seasonings- you can look here:

https://secure.weblizards.net/magicseasonings.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=64
86187.7572*im4uq&next=5&product=blends

Not sure what all he puts in it, but knowing his seasoning blends, it likely
has some added flavoring elements ;-) You can also find it at most
reasonably upscale grocery stores- if it isn't in the spice section, look
around the seafood area, among their complementary spices and sauces.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,