[Sca-cooks] Re: File Seasoning

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur goldbergr1 at cox.net
Sun Mar 30 17:54:48 PST 2003

> Whoa!  Gag me!  Talk about wrong assumptions, this is a big one.
> You don't use file powder as a FLAVOURING in gumbos, so just forget
> about root beer or sarsaparilla extracts.  File is used as a THICKENING
> agent to give the concoction a kind of slippery, semi-slimey or
> viscous texture.  This why you also see okra being used optionally.
> Personally, I use lots of both with a nice black roo base.

I'm told, by those who ought to know, that authentic gumbo uses EITHER okra
OR file', never both. The darker you cook your roux (it's a French word, you
know), the less thickening power it has, and therefore the more of it you
need. I understand the tradtional gumbo roux is "brick" in color, and has
about a fifth the thickening power of a blond roux.