[SCA-cooks] Re: File Seasoning

Jeanne Papanastasiou jeanne at atasteofcreole.com
Sun Mar 30 18:11:05 PST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-admin at ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-admin at ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of Avraham haRofeh of
Sudentur
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 8:55 PM
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: File Seasoning

I'm told, by those who ought to know, that authentic gumbo uses EITHER okra
OR file', never both. The darker you cook your roux (it's a French word, you
know), the less thickening power it has, and therefore the more of it you
need. I understand the tradtional gumbo roux is "brick" in color, and has
about a fifth the thickening power of a blond roux.

The true roux for a gumbo is BLACK.  I've got pictures for ya' just let me
know and I'll bring to Archery practice.  There is no red roux.   A dark
brown is for stews.

I have never had to ADD anything with a roux.  I only add my file AFTER my
gumbo is cooked and sprinkle it over boiled rice BEFORE I ladle my gumbo
into the dish.

Remember, CAJUN is country cooking, it will have a dark brown color.  CREOLE
is city cooking and will have TOMATOES added.  NEVER red NOR runny or soupy.
It should have the consistency of a good beef stew.

Soffya Appollonia Tudja
http://www.aeonline.biz/Links.htm
three fleur-de-lys Or