[Sca-cooks] Key Lime Pie (OT)

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 31 17:14:30 PST 2003

Greetings,

Nope, it is a distinct species (or phylum or whatever that botanical stuff is - I don't know. It is just a completely
different plant ; ). The Key Lime is similar to the Standard lime only in that it is kinda lime shaped, but about 1/3
the size and it is kinda greenish. But I think they are more green/blonde. The juice has a very distinct flavour that is
different than a regular lime in that it doesn;t have the bitter overtones that standard limes do and it is not as sour.
There is a sweetness to them that are theirs and theirs alone.
Here is a website that talks about them some:
http://www.keylime.com/diff.html

The Key Lime is also distinctive in that the quality and composition of the soil really effects the size and taste of
the fruit. There are devotees that swear that the ones grown in the Keys pale in comparison to those grown in Cuba - but
I don't know about that.

And to the good lady that asked - my parents home is on RamRod key. Makes me giggle every time I say it. They have 2 Key
Lime trees and one normal lime tree in their yard. My Dad loves to put the Key Limes in his Corona. You can get a
quarter of a Key lime into the neck and with the regulars you have to cut them into eighths.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva

> Ok....I had thought that Key Limes were simply limes grown in Florida.....I take it that isnt true? Or if it is are
they really that much different?