Re. [Sca-cooks] Trying chickpeas

Susan Laing paxford at gil.com.au
Sat May 3 17:05:39 PDT 2003

Elizabeth/Betty Cook scribed...
>You can take the dish around to your friends saying, "Here, try these
chickpeas! It's a new recipe >and I'd like your opinion." At which point
they can say firmly, "I can't eat chickpeas" or ask what
>chickpeas are, or whatever.

Good idea - at the time I had just finished cooking the meal for 60 in camp
conditions (gas stove-top but still dusty & lacking in certain beloved
ammenities) and was not quite on the ball.

>Or you can try to introduce things like this in a smaller setting, such as
dinner for half a dozen >people in your house, so that when you bring them
to an event some people will have seen them >before.

I had trialed them at a small Roman Dinner months before but unfortunately
non of my Guinea Pigs were camping with this group.  The Camp organiser had
gone "Oh YUMMY!" when I first proposed the Chickpeas dish - even after I
listed an alternative of Green Peas (in case we couldn't find any chickpeas
during our rush around shopping trip) so I foolishly assumed that it was a
dish that had been served to them before.

Will know better in the future :-p and shall try your suggestions in
advance. (I also occassionally do the "Sooky face" so that the "Eager to
stop me pouting" crowd will try the darn dish just to stop it (found this to
be *very* effective and silly at times :-p)

Mari de Paxford
(aka Sue Laing)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/paxford/