Sherlock Holmes Was: [Re: [Sca-cooks] OT: Harry Potter]

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Wed May 7 21:51:38 PDT 2003

In a message dated 5/7/2003 12:14:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
slpatch at mfire.com writes:

> I've seen Americanized editions of Sir Conan Doyle's works and they were,
> well, crap. Much of the period flavor and authors voice is lost, and that
> is a
> tragedy for someone who first reads their work and thinks that is all there
> is.
And they wonder why there's so little interest in reading... This is by no
means new BTW... I was an adult (Well, seventeen) before I found out about
Holmes' use of "The Seven Percent Solution", his firing his pistol in his
rooms, and things like that, and I'm in my mid forties. Since then I've gone
back and read a LOT of things I read as a child, but in the unabridged
versions. Good reason to avoid booksales at children's libraries IMO...
unless you're looking specifically for kids books, and I mean Doctor Suess.

Corwyn

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the
consequences. -- P. J. O'Rourke